The types of information we collect may vary depending on the specific area of the Site you visit or application you use. Accordingly, these Terms are intended to be a general statement and may be supplemented by more specific privacy notices that pertain to personal information exclusively associated with a specific department, unit or function.
The Institute’s Site contains official pages in support of the core mission of the Institute. It also contains webpages generated by groups or individuals whose expressed views do not necessarily represent the views of the Institute. The Institute does not actively monitor or control all web content on the Site. However, when the Institute receives a notification of an alleged violation of law, we investigate and address violations accordingly.
Unless otherwise expressly noted, you should assume everything you see, hear or otherwise receive from or on the Site (the “Content”) is copyright, trademark, trade dress or other intellectual property owned or licensed by the Institute. ALL CONTENT IS PROVIDED TO YOU AS-IS. The Institute shall own or control all right, title and interest in and to the Content, to all derivatives thereof, and to all intellectual property rights related thereto. The Content includes, without limitation, images, illustrations, designs, artwork, icons, photographs, trademarks, logos, text, sounds, music, the Site as a whole and any other materials at the Site.
The information in this Site is provided as a courtesy by the Institute. The views and opinions of individual authors do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Institute. References to specific products, processes or services do not constitute or imply recommendation or endorsement by the Institute.
Links to Outside Web Sites
The Site has numerous links to outside Internet pages, which might have information on health topics of interest to you. The Institute, however, does not sponsor or endorse any of these websites, nor does the Institute make any guarantee, warranty or representation regarding the accuracy of the information contained on the websites. In addition, the Institute has no control over the privacy or security practices of external websites. The user should read and understand the policies of all websites with respect to these practices. These links are provided for your general information and education only, and should NOT be relied upon for personal diagnosis or treatment. If you have questions, please contact your clinician.
Our Information Collection and Use Practices
Information you submit voluntarily through our Site, such as your name, email, or other contact information, may be collected by the Institute to respond to your inquiries, as well as for internal marketing and development purposes.
The Site may use online data entry forms to collect personally identifiable information, including your name and contact information (email, address, telephone number) and other identifiers in order to allow you to provide feedback, register for events, or to make a gift to the Ellison Institute Research Foundation.
We may reveal personally identifiable information about you to unaffiliated third parties:
- if you request or authorize it;i
- f the information is provided to help complete a transaction for you;
- if the information is provided to our agents, outside vendors or service providers to perform functions on our behalf (e.g., analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing customer service, processing orders, etc.); or
- as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice or in a more specific privacy notice associated with a particular department, unit or function.
We may share information that does not personally identify you without restriction.
Sensitive Personal Information
We ask that you do not send us, and do not share any sensitive personal information (for example, government-issued IDs, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, genetic, or biometric data, criminal background or trade union membership).
The Institute does not knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13. The Site and the Content are not directed at children under the age of 13, except as general medical educational information. If the Institute is made aware of collecting information of a child under 13, we will delete this information.
This section entitled Job Applicants applies if you use the “Job Opportunities” section of the Site or if you allow or cause someone else to use it for you. If an applicant has a disability and needs assistance using our online systems, completing a profile, an application for employment, or any other aspect of the application process, please notify our Human Resources team at [email protected] and we will make appropriate arrangements. We are an equal opportunity employer.
- Recruiters and Others. If you are a recruiter, friend or someone other than job applicant (“Applicant”), you represent and warrant to the Institute that you have shown the Applicant this Privacy Notice and that you have obtained written consent from the Applicant to those terms and policies or that you are otherwise authorized to do so and to submit personal information about Applicant.
- Information That We Collect in Job Opportunities.
- In addition to the personal information that we collect on the Site generally, in the Job Opportunities section you may set up a “profile” which will require you to supply your email address and create a password to allow you to access your profile later. When you create a profile, submit an application, or authorize us to obtain a “consumer report” (such as a background check), we tend to collect this kind of information: name, address, email address, and telephone number; resume, employment, compensation (if permitted by law), and educational history; previous grants from us; social security number; gender, race/ethnicity, citizenship status, nationality, disability, and military service if voluntary disclosed by you; U.S. work authorization; whether you have been disbarred, disqualified, sanctioned or excluded by the FDA or regulatory authority or are under investigation or proceeding thereunder, or sanctioned or convicted under federal statutes including Social Security Act, Federal Stark law federal Claims Act, federal anti-kickback Statute, HIPAA, federal civil money penalties statute or ineligible from participation in federal or state procurement or non-procurement programs or any similar laws all as amended from time to time; and so on.
- The information submitted about an Applicant online tends to be preliminary information. If we think there might be a good fit for a position, we often will ask the Applicant to complete a more formal application and also to authorize us to obtain a “consumer report” or “consumer investigative report.” Under U.S. law, a “consumer report” is a report bearing on credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living which is expected to be used or collected to serve as a factor in establishing Applicant’s eligibility for employment. An “investigative consumer report” tends to be the same thing but the information is obtained through personal interviews with neighbors, friends, associates or acquaintances etc. of the Applicant. Both kinds of reports (or other information we collect) can include information from court, administrative and criminal records.
- Access to Information. You may update your profile personal information by contacting our Human Resources team at [email protected]. The Institute retains profiles in accordance with our records retention policy. Profiles may be deleted at any time upon request by contacting our Human Resources team at [email protected]. Neither changes to or deletion of a profile will alter information already submitted or relied upon.
- How We Use Information Collected in Search for Jobs. In addition to the uses of personal information allowed in these Terms, we make these kinds of uses of personal information submitted for a job. We disclose it:
- to recruiters and other third parties who help us authenticate Applicants or review qualifications and credentials or to contact references;
- to our affiliates and other Third Parties or persons with whom Applicant might work if Applicant gets the job;
- when we are looking for someone who might fit a job need of ours or a Third Party, and to contact a previous Applicant to see if he or she might be interested in a job for which the Applicant did not apply. However, we do this in our discretion and without any obligation to do so;
- to communicate about receiving the application or about the job for which application was made, or to deliver legal or other notices; and
- to comply with applicable laws such as checking names against anti-terrorism lists or complying with immigration restrictions.
5. Further Use. If Applicant gets a job with us, we store the application and other information upon which we relied in Applicant’s personnel file and secure HR systems, and we may base post-employment decisions on it (including disciplinary actions).
Cookies and Website Analytics
We may allow selected third parties to place cookies through the Site to provide us with better insights into the use of the Site or user demographics or to provide relevant advertising to you. These third parties may collect information about a user’s online activities over time and across different websites when he or she uses our Site.
Some portions of the Site may use Google Analytics (or other similar web analytics tools) to collect information about visitor traffic and behavior. This allows us to identify usage trends and to improve the performance and content of the Site.
We do not use this tool to collect or store your personal information, and it cannot be used to identify who you are.
You can use the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on to disable tracking by Google Analytics.
We currently do not use technology that responds to do-not-track signals from your browser.
Consent to International Transfer and Disclosure of Personal Information
We are involved in programs and activities in a variety of countries. You agree that the Institute and those with whom we share personal information (“Recipients”) may disclose and transfer your personal information worldwide (including outside the European Economic Area, if you are based in the European Economic Area) for any purpose relating to our or their mission, operations, programs, or otherwise that is not allowed or prohibited by these Terms.
Consent to Electronic Notice If There is a Security Breach
If we or a Recipient is required to provide notice of unauthorized access or other invasion of certain security systems, you agree that we (or they) may do so when required (or voluntarily) by posting notice on the Site or sending notice to any email address we have for you, in our (or their) good faith discretion. You agree that notice to you will count as notice to others for whom you are acting, and agree to pass the notice on to them.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND THE CONTENT SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE INSTITUTE, ITS MEMBERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE AND YOUR USE THEREOF. THE INSTITUTE MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THIS SITE’S CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO THIS SITE, AND ASSUMES NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF THE CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR SITE, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR SITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR SITE OR CONTENT BY THE INSTITUTE OR BY ANY THIRD PARTY, OR (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE SITE. THE INSTITUTE DOES NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY HYPERLINKED SERVICES OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING, IF ANY, AND THE INSTITUTE WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE INSTITUTE, ITS MEMBERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR SITE OR CONTENT, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR SITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR SERVICES BY THE INSTITUTE OR ANY THIRD PARTY, OR (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE SITE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT THE INSTITUTE IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE INSTITUTE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE CONTENT OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
The Institute makes no representations that the Site or Content is appropriate or available for use in locations outside of the United States of America. Those who access or use the Site from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
You assume full responsibility for any use of any information, goods or services offered on or through the Site. You understand and agree that the Institute will not be responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage arising from the use of any information, goods or services or other Content.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, you agree to indemnify, defend (by counsel reasonably acceptable to the Institute), and hold harmless the Institute, its members, officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Indemnitees”), from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, expert witness fees and costs incurred by the Indemnitees, with respect to any direct or third party claim, suit or action asserted against any of the Indemnitees, whether or not a lawsuit or other proceeding is filed (collectively “Claims”), that arise out of or relate to: (a) your use of and access to the Site and/or Content; (b) your violation of any term of these Terms of Service; (c) your actual or alleged violation of any third party rights, including without limitation any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, property, or privacy rights; (d) your failure to comply with any applicable laws, rules, or regulations; (e) your use of any third party websites found on the Site or the products or services advertised by third parties on the Site; or (f) any claim that your use of the Content caused damage to a third party. You shall not enter into any settlement, stipulated judgment or other arrangement with respect to such Claims that (i) imposes any obligation on Indemnitees, (ii) does not unconditionally release Indemnitees from all liability, or (iii) would have an adverse effect on the Institute’s reputation or business, without the Institute’s prior written consent. Notwithstanding the above, Indemnitees, at their expense, shall have the right to retain separate independent counsel to assist in defending any such Claims. In the event you fail to promptly indemnify and defend such Claims and/or pay Indemnitees’ expenses as provided above, Indemnitees shall have the right, but not the obligation, to defend themselves, and in that case, you shall reimburse Indemnitees for all of their reasonable attorney’s fees, costs and damages incurred in settling or defending such Claims within thirty (30) days of each of Indemnitees’ written requests. This indemnity shall be a direct payment obligation and not merely a reimbursement obligation of you to Indemnitees. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive these Terms of Service and your use of the Service.
Your failure to comply with the Terms automatically revokes your authorization to use the Site and terminates any and all rights granted to you under the Terms. Your obligations to the Institute will survive the termination of your rights under the Terms, including without limitation our ownership of the Content, restrictions regarding use of the Content, disclaimers, indemnification obligations and liability limitations. Upon termination of your rights, you must promptly destroy all Content downloaded or obtained from this Site, as well as all copies of any Content.
Terms will be construed according to California law, without regard to provisions governing conflicts or choice of laws. Any dispute arising under or relating to the Terms, the Content, the use of the Site, or any services obtained using this Site, will be resolved exclusively by the state and/or federal courts located and Los Angeles, California. Your use of the Site constitutes your irrevocable consent and agreement to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts in Los Angeles County, California with respect to such dispute, and waive any right to contest or otherwise object to such exclusive jurisdiction or venue.
If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of the Terms, or any portion thereof, to be void, invalid or unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of the Terms, and the remainder of the Terms will remain in full force and effect. The Terms are the entire agreement between you and the Institute relating to the Site. Any other agreements between you and the Institute regarding the subject matter of the Terms are superseded and have no force or effect. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.
Updates to these Terms
The Institute reserves the right to modify these Terms at any time. We encourage visitors to frequently check this page for any changes to these Terms. If we make changes, we will post an updated effective date below. Your continued use of the Site after any change in this these Terms will constitute your acceptance of such change.